Thursday 24 February 2011

Howard & Sons Chairs with Vintage Bennison Fabric










My posts are like buses....you stand in the cold & rain for hours nothing.......then 6 come all at once......Its actually ages since I have waited for a bus, certainly since leaving London over 10 years ago. I now live in a small hamlet in rural Somerset England where we only get a bus twice a week once on a tuesday & once on a thursday......if you miss one then you have to wait for days.....

This week Iam student less.......sometimes I need a week just to catch up on my stuff & today has been a most marvelous day. I was prettry sure when I saw these chairs in my local auction that they were Howard Chairs......Howards & Sons Chairs are most sought aftet as they opitimise the English Country House Look....with their deep rake & siege du duvet comfort, they really are chairs you can sleep in, they are just so comfortable. They are actually a very very fine quality,  birchwood  hardwood frames with chamfered edges, & this " siege du duvet" feathered cushioning on top of a traditional stuffing which gives it that "sink" into fealing........so I was very pleased to have won them in the auction.

Today I started to strip them off as I wanted to get underneath all the layers of patching that had been done to them since their arrival in someones drawing room circa 1910........to my delight I found the original fabric still in place....& this I believe to be Bennison, although I do need to do some research into this, but its beautiful & these chairs would have been most magnificent at their conception, with this wonderfull botanical fabric with exotic birds & flowers on........which them makes you wonder about the people.......the house......who were they........

6 comments:

  1. Hiya, how beautiful are those chairs! Thank you for your blog comment.. sadly the childrens fabric is long sold... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your blog comment, have you seen this http://nostalgiaatthestonehouse.blogspot.com/ keep scrolling down to the wacky wacky fabrics....

    ReplyDelete
  3. me again! Have a large piece of upholstery weight 70's fabric.. masses of it.. interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Searching desperatly for some Bennison Chinese Toile in the red /beige on Oyster linen. Would you happen to have any in your supplies please (or know of someone who does)so i can complete yhis project?
    Thought there may be an increased opportunity in the land of the original Bennison fabrics.

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  5. New mesh office chairs are the latest technology for office comfort sedie in tessuto anni 50. These new office chairs feature ergonomic design and comfortable breathable mesh fabric insets. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too.
    antique furnishings

    ReplyDelete